How healthy are you?
You most probably eat well, exercise regularly and take time out to relax.
You’re doing all the right things, however, are you missing tell-tale signs stopping you from feeling your best?
Five signs your body is out of Balance
As a Chinese Medicine Practitioner and author, these five questions are tell-tale signs the mind and body are out of balance and not as energised and vibrant as it could be:
- Can you walk five kilometres in one session?
- Is your stomach settled before or after eating?
- Do you sleep seven hours comfortably at night?
- Are you pain-free all the time?
- Can you sit calmly for 20 minutes?
If you said “no” to any of these questions, it’s time to consider how you can be proactive in becoming a healthier and happier you.
Where to start? Don’t ‘Doctor Google’
The biggest mistake I see people make is commencing a journey of gaining good health alone, trying to sift through hundreds of strategies, searching Google and attempting to build a life of wellness on their own.
As a result of this trial and error, you end up running out of time, money, passion or faith in yourself. It can become an endless circle.
It’s important to see a health professional, who can look at your overall health and make recommendations to put a plan in place.
Let’s start with your mindset
A Major Gamechanger for improved health and vitality – a great place to start – is mastering your mindset by releasing worrying negative thoughts, discovering calm, happy and energy again.
I recommend three simple daily actions and reactions to get you on your way to better health, and ultimately, a more positive and calmer you.
- Repeating positive mindful affirmations such as “I know, accept and am true to myself”
- Asking yourself “Does it really matter?” when things are not going well
- Don’t underestimate the power of keeping a journal. Applying pen to paper can help express your feelings and create clarity within.
Emotions impact on a person health in so many ways.
Top mindfulness apps
- Headspace: The Headspace app is an IOS and Android app which can be downloaded onto your tablet or iPhone. Headspace teaches you how to meditate, breathe and live mindfully. It includes exercises on topics including managing anxiety, stress relief, breathing, happiness and focus.
- Aura: This app provides you with daily micro-meditations that last only three minutes. A great introduction to the practice.
- Calm: The Calm app has different sound sensations that can be used to relax, fall asleep or meditate. Users can choose from falling rain, crackling fireplace or rainforest.
Don’t wait until you’ve been ‘hit by the Mac truck’ to get your health and mindset in order, a small practice every day will get you well on the way to better health.
Charmaine Renaud is the author of How to Turn Off Your Negative Mind Chatter and was a guest speaker at our Fitness for your Wallet and Lifestyle Information Sessions held in October 2019. If you want to find out more Charmaine
Tip: Your mind is a powerful tool, organise it and you will live calmly